Why My Heart is in Africa

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Run or Get Dragged

At prayer night on Friday, God gave me a really great visual of His expectation for me during this season as He propels me into the next one. Maybe it will mean something to you as well, so that's why I'm sharing it...

First off, did you ever see in a western how they tie the criminal up to the back of the wagon or horse and then the wagon/horse is set in motion, leaving the man to run like crazy and eventually fall and be dragged until unconscious.

Now, that's the visual God gave me as I cling to my promise land (Swaziland) just like those criminals... I WON'T LET GO... and God expects me not to. But then He spoke clearly to me about not just waiting for the future, but making the most of the present. I think I've been doing a really good job at trying to see the value of NOW, but I think God expects me to do better... after more reflection, I think a lot of it is my attitude towards the present and being more positive... but I'm sure there is more.

Here is the nugget I got about my reaction to the present: I can either be dragged all the way to the future promise land, or I can match my pace and run my heart out. Both get me to the end result- exactly where I want to be, but each has different consequences when I do arrive and that is the powerful difference.

Being dragged- basically, if you go limp and become an inactive, defeated participant a couple of things happen...
1- You miss the beauty of God at work in your life, because your face is in the dirt and your focus is on yourself... "When will I be relieved of this pain??" You miss the opportunity to build that testimony of what God can do with an obedient friend, and you miss the chance to praise in the midst of trials which is so powerful and intimate!

2- You can't see the potholes and debris on the road, you are now at the mercy of your circumstances. Sure God is there, divinely directing things, but how much harder are you making it on yourself if you aren't prepared to steer in the direction He tells you, or jump when He asks you?

3- The most detrimental- You arrive at your promise land- yes, you do arrive- but you are now battered, beaten up, worn out, defeated in spirit (remember you had your face in the ground the whole season and negativity builds up!), and you have lost some of the vision God had once given you. You find that you need healing and spiritual "first aid" before you can even start the task you've been waiting for all that time.

But, what if you matched pace with the driver? What if you ran the whole way, stayed on your feet? Things would be much different during the journey and at your destination!
1- You would be so encouraged, because you would have seen God at work in your life. You would have seen His passion for you and the mission He has for you and therefore, it would be instilled in you! Essentially, the vision would be clearer, not blurred. You would be blessed on the road to see the beauty of God at work and created a huge testimony that could carry you through other hard times. The work that you experience God do during this time of travel and change, can become a foundational element of the work you will do in your promise land!

2- You learn to be obedient, you learn to listen and discern the voice of God! You learn to face trials- potholes and obstacles- face on with faith that God will steer you right around them or through them. Again, this is building up foundational truths that will likely sustain you later in your mission. Remember intimacy is built as you are learning His voice, trusting His promptings, and being obedient.

3- Finally, because of the last two, because you stayed on your feet; you arrive at the promised destination whole and healthy!! Praise God! Not only that, but you are STRONGER! (You've been running and training the whole season! Now you are READY!!) You are much more CONFIDENT, not only in yourself, but more importantly in Yahweh God! You can do anything with Him!! You don't need time to heal, you don't need time to regain your vision... you are ready to "hit the ground (still) running" when you get to the promise land.

And that is what I believe God expects from us in the season of waiting for all that He has burned into your heart. Use this time to run passionately, matching your pace with the Holy Spirit, learning to trust God completely, and doing all you can to arrive in your promise land fully prepared to begin walking out the dream He gave you.

1 Corinthians 9:24
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.


Hebrews 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us
run with perseverance the race marked out for us


Isaiah 40:31
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will
run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all ears... ;)